lunes, 9 de noviembre de 2020

ENGLISH 09-11-20

 

PAST SIMPLE 

The past simple is used to talk about finished actions in the past.


AFFIRMATIVE

  • Regular verbs: We form the past simple adding the suffix –ed to the verb.

wait - waited    ask - asked    play - played    invent invented

  • We need to follow some rules when adding -ed. Be careful! 
  • Normally we add –ed to the verb: 
    • Ex: I walk → I walked. 
    • Ex: I talk with my dad → I talked with my dad. 
  • If the verb ends with an –e we just add –d. 
    • Ex: I bake a cake → I baked a cake. 
    • Ex: I taste the pizza → I tasted the pizza. 
  • If it ends in vowel + Y we add -ed. 
    • I play games. → I played games. 
  • But if it ends in consonant + Y we change the “y” into “ied”  
    • I carry my backpack → I carried my backpack. 
  • In short words ending in consonant + vowel + consonant we double the last consonant. 
    • We stop → We stopped.
    • We hop → We hopped. 

  • Irregular verbs don´t follow this rule as they have a special form. (You have the list of irregular verbs in your agendas)

buy- bought      eat - ate     say - said     drink - drank


Here you have a video to understand it better 

  

NEGATIVE

We form the negative of the past simple using didn’t before the verb. This rule is for both regular and irregular verbs.

didn’t wait   didn’t ask

didn’t buy    didn’t drink

didn’t listen   didn’t see


INTERROGATIVE

We form the interrogative of the past simple using did+subject+verb. This rule is for both regular and irregular verbs.

Did you wait … ?  Did you ask …?

Did you buy …?   Did you drink…?

Did you listen…?  Did you see…?


TIME EXPRESSIONS

Yesterday

Last week / month / year

On  Monday / Tuesday …

One day ago / week ago / month ago / year ago

At 10 o´clock

The other day

In 2012...


HOMEWORK (in your English notebook)

Put the verbs in brackets into the Past Simple Tense:

 

1. We ___________ (HAVE) a lot of fun at your party yesterday.

2. My brother ___________ (FINISH) the homework a few minutes ago.

3. Susan ___________ (LIKE) skating when she was a girl.

4. Joe ___________ (BREAK) his leg three weeks ago.

5. I ___________ (MEET) my best friend George in 2005.

6. My parents ___________ (GO) to the theatre yesterday.

7. He ___________ (WATCH) a very scary film last night.

8. Emma ___________ (NOT GO) to school when she was ill.

9. Where ___________ you ___________ (LEAVE) your jacket?

10. ________ you ___________ (HATE) broccoli when you were a child?

11. Peter ___________ (READ) a very interesting book yesterday.

12. Mum ___________ (MAKE) a chocolate cake two hours ago.

13. We ___________ (PLAY) basketball when we were 10 years old. 

14. He ___________ (NOT LISTEN) to music after school yesterday.

15. I ___________ (GET) lots of good marks last month.

16. _________ they ___________ (VISIT) their grandparents last summer?

17. He ___________ (DRINK) two glasses of water during the break.

18. Sarah ___________ (NOT ENJOY) her piano lessons last day.

19. Where ___________ your father ___________ (WORK) in 1985?

20. They ___________ (SEE) lots of animals in the zoo yesterday.

 

5ºB When you finish the exercises send me a picture to my email: lucia.mantilla@educa.madrid.org